Saturday, October 1, 2011

Adoption Update: Court on Hold

I know there are many waiting to read an update on our adoption journey.

We arrived safely in Vladivostok, happily at the Vlad Motor Inn. Korea was very nice and they have renovated the transit hotel with flat screen televisions, new beds, new showers/tubs, very nice.

It was very warm and humid the first couple of days in Vladivostok and now it is around 37 at night and 60 during the day. The leaves are falling and the autumn chill is in the air.

I unpacked all of our clothes including our daughter's clothes and put out her first outfit, a very cute blue ruffly skirt, black polka dot tights, white shoes, black long sleeve shirt and sweater with matching knit hat.

We went to visit our daughter to be the first 2 days where we saw other children playing and took our son back to his baby home. He enjoyed it very much. He said hello to everyone, shook their hands and played with the toys. He said to my sister later that he had visited his old home. He was very happy with his sister. He gave her big hugs and she was all over him, just about chasing him down.

The day before court, we said our paka paka's to our daughter to be, she hugged us like crazy that day and reached out for us. She had become so attached giggling and wanting up over and over. I was so happy with our daughter to be. She was sweet, smiling all of the time and was just a wonderful little girl. We had gone shopping for baby food, drinks and diapers and then back to the hotel to rest.

The day before court I never thought life would change once again for us. My sister and I had taken Alexei out for a walk around the hotel getting some fresh air. As I turned the corner, I saw our coordinator standing with my husband at the back door waving me over. I knew at that moment something was incredibly wrong.

Indeed the information was not good. We had lost our daughter to be at the very last moment, the ever so feared witching hour. A relative had come forth, however not guaranteed but put a stop to us getting to bring our little girl into our family. The bonding, the hugs, the smiles and the thoughts were all lost to one fact "I would never see her again".

I suppose it was the last line, "I would never see her again" that made my heart sink. It was broken. My husband took it hardest on the first day and I stayed strong trying to figure out what was next for us. The second day I was not great but things were moving fast and I had to keep up. We were already seeing a new referral of a little boy. A little boy who reminded me of our own son just with brown hair, brown eyes and olive skin.

So here I was realizing that everyone back home, our parents, family, friends all wanted to know what happened and I couldn't even bring the words out to tell them what or how I truly felt. I think as most who knew here were left speechless. This is how I feel.

I would walk into our bedroom and want to walk back out seeing the girls clothing, the first outfit, the 3 little pairs of shoes and the small knit hats. Then I would think of the little girl room we all created and what was waiting for her. It felt like a huge weight pulling down inside my chest and my stomach, like a sudden, great loss.

My son who had met his sister was so excited to see her again and I wasn't even sure how to tell him he didn't have a sister anymore, now a brother. He did not accept it until late today when he finally said "okay".

We know not of what will happen in the next few days. We have spent time with a little boy, given him a name and hope that everything will turn out successful. Honestly, I fear the outcome as I am not sure it will all work out but hope fate will come through the way it is supposed to for us.

I cannot put in words the loss we feel and yet the hope we have that things will come out the way we need them too. Either way, we hold tight that Alexei will be able to bring home that sibling he has so been waiting to come to Russia for.

15 comments:

Shelly and Steve said...

There are no words. I'm completely devastated for you all. It should not be possible that this could happen. My heart goes out to you, your husband, your son, and a precious little girl who needs a family, as well as a sweet boy in Russia who also needs a forever family. This is so hard and I wish you much healing....I'm so sorry.

Wendi and Terry said...

I am so, so, sorry. I can't even imagine what you are going thru but please know the thoughts and prayers of so many are with you during this difficult, frustrating time.

Project Munchkin said...

I am praying for you and your family.

LUV2SHOP_KC said...

I'm speechless. My heart goes out to you.

Corinne said...

Oh WOW, this is certainly not what I expected to read. My heart goes out to you as your family.Wishing you healing and strenghth to move forward in the next steps. Our thoughts are with you.

Shelly said...

I've just now stumbled upon your blog. Oh my. I am so sorry. I have not idea what you are feeling, but please know that a stranger is praying for you. Shelly

dgporter said...

This road is not for the faint of heart, for sure. Words cannot express my feelings as I read your post. All I can say is I'm very sorry. I pray God's blessing on your life and the lives of these little precious children that don't get a say.
Our daughter is from Vladivostok too.

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

Oh I am in tears for you --- I cannot even begin to imagine the depth of your loss. while at the same time fully admire your strength as you face a new future - same goal of growing your family, a sibling for alexei, another heart to love... i am so very very sorry for all that has happened... my thoughts and prayers are for all of you -- the little girl, the little boy -- everyone - and that you be fueled by faith...and that somehow the russian officials figure out how to get you home with this little boy THIS trip (is that even possible?)....and know that, you will most certainly be needing of support and healing of a very open wound of the loss of your daughter, while at the same time trying to find all the energy that will be needed to have faith, hope, and love and help this little boy learn how to be a part of a family - to love and be loved...please let me know how i can help you...

Unknown said...

I cannot imagine the grief of losing the child you were already in love with and then having to quickly pick up the pieces to commit to loving another. Praying God will heal your heart and allow you to bond with your new son and know that he is perfect for your family, a perfect little brother for your son, that it is not a mistake at all that he will be your own.

Kelly
(friend of Amy's)

Hunter and Michael said...

Thank you Everyone. We really appreciate your support and comments. :)

It has been an interesting journey and surely not for the faint of heart.

Kacy Lemons said...

Wow. I'm so sorry this happened to your family. We just adopted from Vladivostok in July and I was completely unaware that a relative could step forward right up till the time of court. I was told this after court was complete. You are so right.....international adoption is not for the faint of heart. You feel completely helpless and at the mercy of the Russian officials until you step on that plane to fly home. Just curious, which vary house are you adopting from? We were at baby house two located in artem. Best of luck and i will be praying for you and your family as you continue your adoption journey. Kscy Lemons

Hunter and Michael said...

Kacey,

We have adopted from Baby home #3, were again at baby home #3 and now baby hospital #3. I am very familiar with 2. Thank you for your words and congratulations!

yanmaneee said...

goyard handbags
golden goose sneakers
golden goose
moncler
moncler outlet
golden goose
golden goose
supreme outlet
supreme clothing
golden goose outlet

Unknown said...

q2i94p3x73 e5k97u1q61 v2q64n9s22 k5z02m5s98 c8z48y2s04 q9r98m0r48

Unknown said...

d1k07u6a95 h3v32a2d35 z6g39c0z25 c2q27z4i94 p3l16i0g05 x1g23k5g69