Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Day with My Son Alexei in the Park We Played in 2 Years Ago

Alexei and I were able to have a few hours alone today. We decided on this chilly October day to set out to the park behind the Vlad Motor Inn. I watched him as he ran around the tennis court, went down the new tube slide and said hello to a pigeon. I couldn't help but think about how small he was when we first came to this park together. The waddling 15 month old, so tiny and yet ran around in slower fashion.

Today we spent time in the lobby while he stood with the hotel clown and she blew up balloons for him. Incredibly wonderful to see how well he does with all of the other children who speak Russian. He seems to enjoy playing with the children, running around together and laughing. I stand in awe at the strength he has had and the light emotions he has shown in returning to Russia. When we landed with Korean Air, he yelled "Back to Russia!" I cannot even imagine what people thought as his excitement was clearly shown in his loud voice, hands on the airplane window and huge smile.

He has also declared his love loudly for two girls. "I love her!" "I love her!" He yells. Oh boy, to have two boys who charm the pants off these girls.

Customs Experience: So, we are in line waiting to go through customs. We are next and Alexei has been pretty patient. DEAR LORD, you will not believe what he said and did: Long Lines, Sister in front of us waiting for the customs agent to return her passport, suddenly Alexei says, "Hey Sweetheart, we've been waiting long enough, it's our turn." THANK GOODNESS he is 3 years old. That is the only way we were able to get away with that. Whew.

From the moment I first met my son, I felt this instant connection and here we are back in Russia after 2 years of being together. He is my everything and the alone time is certainly cherished even when we sit together and converse at the table over lunch about Sponge Bob.

I often whisper when we are running around in his ears, "I love you" in Russian and he says it back quietly. There is nothing quite like the mother and son bond. I will say today, he answered the coordinator when she asked if he wanted to go meet his brother, he said, "My sister". He is still trying to figure things out since he met the girl we thought to be his sister and he became hooked. I show him video of his new brother and I think about the potential of me raising two sons. A funny thought really. Hockey, tennis, I suppose our house is ready for sure. Double the Trouble I say.

Alexei has waited months thinking we are bringing home his sister so this should be really interesting as to whether we are able to bring home a brother or if I am going to have to explain to him we are going home without his brother or sister. Aye, aye, aye is all I can say. I am so hoping to not have this conversation with him if we have to leave without.

It surely is a beautiful sunny, chilly day in Vladivostok. Chilly 37 in the evening and 55 during the day.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

HunterAnn,

Our hearts break for you. We lost our first referral but I know that what you're experiencing is 1000 times worse! We are in Seoul, we'll be there for trip 1. Because of your loss I can only be honest to say that we are devastated for you, and terrified for us. I'm praying that your baby boy remains your baby boy forever. Or at least until he goes off to college and has to remove himself from your clutches! I feel your pain and , and optimism and fear, if only just a bit. What happens now? Do you have to return and wait for court or do they make it happen for you on this trip? Knowing what our tickets cost I certainly hope the latter is the case! Not to mention the worry!! Be strong, our hearts are with you. I have a big hug for you if we meet there (I'm not usually a higher btw).

Ashley said...

I am still heartsick over all of this. I hate it that you are experiencing this pain and this hurt and this grief over the loss of your little girl. I have been praying for healing to begin as you meet and play with this new little boy.

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

Hey Hunter Ann -
Oh i SOO hear you about Alexi, and that bond -- and that first magical moment... And, honestly, I truly cannot stop thinking about you here... As we met who we hope will be our 2nd child a few weeks ago in Russia, we continually balance the hope with the possibilities (like what has happened to you)... I also very much remember what happened when you were in Vlad meeting your first referral.. and then the little girl.. and how hard all that was... when you think of the magic with Alexei, all this juggling of WHO will be your child has got to cloud your heart and emotions even more... your Alexei sounds incredibly flexible and resilient with everything -- and he will be a huge help for whomever comes home -- i truly hope the answer is YES - that they ARE going to find a way to help you bring this little boy home on THIS trip... hugs going out to you ... i did email a bunch of friends and family on our end your story -- and blog... to pray and send positive thoughts and energy your way -- and help speed you ALL home together... to begin your lives as a family of 4.. hugs hugs hugs. Amy

Kelley said...

Hi HunterAnn,
We will continue to keep your family and referrals in our prayers. I can't imagine the pain, confusion, and loss you all are going through at this time. But please know you have all of our support! Stay faithful for you will be matched with your "perfect" child. :)

adidas nmd said...

adidas superstar UK
kobe bryant shoes
michael kors purses
links of london
skechers outlet
longchamp outlet
nike air max 90
hogan outlet online
cheap jordans
nike air huarache