Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Borscht борщ

Growing up my grandmother did not cook too often due to her schedule, however Borscht was always a tradition and I remember it well. I can still remember my grandmother standing over by the stove with my mother and both of them working on dinner. I remember the bowls filled with a dark purple soup and a spoonful of sour cream on the top. My grandmother's borscht was a tad sweet, much like taking a bite out of a beet, strong and sweet with a touch of sour from the cream, which I liked to stir into the soup.

When Michael and I were in Vladivostok this past May, our wonderful coordinator Anya took us to a lunch downtown and I have to say it was probably one of the best Borscht soups I have ever had. Unlike my grandmother's, which I loved too, this was very light and with plenty of lemon. I probably could have eaten it every day lol much like I have done with the French Onion soup at the Vlad Motor Inn.

Both soups are so good, however this late summer when the days have been in the 70's (I know backeasters and southern cali's, that really isn't considered hot) I am craving a lighter and cooler type of dinner and with wanting to pass down traditions within our family, I have decided to make this cold borscht recipe and share it with any of you interested in trying something new. It does not have it in this recipe, however I am not big on the sliced egg and probably would prefer the sour cream. Since I am non dairy now, I will skip the sour cream but highly recommend it.

Cold Borscht Recipe