Monday, March 14, 2011

My Thoughts on Re- Adoption

Re-Adoption is not for everyone in particular myself, however I do know many parents do this re-adoption and it is really what each individual feels is best for their family. I respect their decision, however here is why it is not for me or for our son.

My parents divorced when I was 2 years old and my mother re-married a few years later. There was an adoption done and my birth certificate was changed as it is normal for legal matters and this is just what happens.

This is a huge reason I cannot do re-adoption for my son. I feel like when my birth certificate was changed, a part of me was then changed and taken from me as it changed a bit of who I was when born. A part of my history.

I accept the Russian adoption and birth certificate done where he is from in Vladivostok, Russia and we are his parents as I can explain to him his story as I have done in his life book, however I can never have him re-adopted here as it is just not the "real" birth certificate. It is like saying he was born here in the U.S., this is my understanding and this is not true and therefore I cannot change that for him. I cherish his Russian culture, where he is from and cannot wait to take him back to Russia and know where he is from later in his life.

For me to change his birth certificate to a U.S. one is making a decision for him he may not want later in life and may resent.

At the moment:

He was born in Russia: LOVE that about him and would not want to change that for the world.
He is now a U.S. Citizen and Russian Citizen. Again, LOVE it, what a lucky boy to have both for now.
At age 18, he can decide what he wants to do with his citizenship and this will be his decision alone.

I love my boy with all of my heart and both his Papa and I feel very strongly that he can make his own decisions later in life on how he wants to live his life. We will be there to guide him.

I do realize there are advantages in the case of needing certified copies, however usually you just make a copy, notarize and apostille these copies. If you need the original birth certificate than I can understand this.

The personal and legal issues that are connected with these decisions make it a difficult decision overall as I see parents on one side saying they would never re-adopt here in the U.S. and I see parents who rush to re-adopt.

I would love to know the reasons, if willing to share those who want to re-adopt in the U.S. for as much research as I have done, it seems there are possibly good reasons for people to adopt on the legal front.

- 27 states do not recognize often the adoption decree. I am a bit put off by this as he is a U.S. citizen.

- The need of certified copies of birth certificates, which I believe you do not necessarily need several of the original birth certificates. Have any parents had issues with non-readoption in the U.S.?

6 comments:

optimistikchick said...

If you re-adopt in this country his birth certificate will state that he was born in Russia. That wouldn't change. I have also heard that some states don't recognize the legality of a foreign birth certificate when it comes to matters of estate or inheritance if something were to happen to you. I don't know the details on this but might be worth investigating. Lastly, as someone who has a German birth certificate, the efforts, time and expense that I have to go through each time I need a certified copy of my BC is tiresome. I have wished many times over my parents would have gotten a US BC if possible. I was not adopted but born abroad to US parents. Lastly, you still keep your child's Russian BC. It really would simplify things for him when he becomes an adult. Things to consider...

Kristy said...

Re-adoption comes in handy later in life. When your child tries to get a driver's license or for some university/financial aid situations, or when getting married, they need these birth certificates and you only get one from Russia (God forbid you lose it!). We re-adopted for the sole purpose of making life easier in the future. Perfect example is when we were going through the dossier process and my husband had a terrible time getting certified copies of his birth certificate....and he was born here in the U.s., just a different state. It delayed our process by a full month. It does state the original city of birth on the new birth certificate and we always use the Russian birth certificates + adoption certificates whenever possible because, like you, I don't ever want to diminish my children's history. I think there's a happy medium, for what it's worth, but you should make the decision that is best for you and your family.

Jody said...

Our children are all from Russia. The oldest two we brought home 2 1/2 years ago and just re-adopted them this past summer. For us, we simply wanted to have a birth certificate that we could easily get a new copy of if something ever happened to their Russian one. We travelled to Russia in September and again in February for our newest son and our children went with us. We used their Russian stuff solely. They will always be Russian citizens unless they renounce that citizenship at a Russian consulate...we found that out from the Embassy when we were there in Feb. Our coordinator in Russia strongly encouraged us to re-adopt simply because she says it's next to impossible to ever get another birth certificate from Russia if the original that we have gets lost, burnt in a house fire, etc. Our children's US bc's still have them born in Vladivostok, Russia, and our names are on them as their parents, just as it is in the Russian bc. For us, knowing that we can now easily get copies if we need to was well worth the time.
It's far from coslty where we live...just court costs, no attorney needed!!

Kris said...

Like the other commenters, we did it for ease of getting copies of certificates.
Sadly you cannot in some circumstances just make a copy of their russian birth certificate, you need certified ones.
I had to get several certified ones from the state I was born in when we were adopting and it was a headache, i can't imagine trying to get copies of their russian certificates.
We were not allowed to just make copies of our own birth certificates, they had to be certified.

In our county in PA we didn't need to re-adopt to get a birth certificate, just had to fill out paperwork and it is a recognition of foreign birth.

I can say already for school, sports, and legal issues it has already come in very handy.
It changes nothing about who they are, where they were born. It still states russia on there. It is a legality for us and for them.

Each state and area is different on whether you need to re-adopt to obtain the certificate.
If we needed to re-adopt we would have.

I just look at it as nothing else than an extra legal document that will make life easier for them should they need it.

Hunter and Michael said...

Thank you all for the information and sharing. This greatly helps us in our decision to get a BC and helps in understanding the process.

What would we do without our partners in adoption!!!! lol, thanks guys.

adidas nmd said...

jordan shoes
yeezy boost
michael jordan shoes
nike zoom
air max 95
yeezy boost
adidas nmd r1
クロムハーツ
cheap jordans