Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Waiting for a court date? Here are some thoughts for you.

I often sit and remember who was in our life at the time we brought Alexei home and who was instrumental in finalizing our son's future. The difference these people make in each child's life is too great for words.

Tonight, as I write this, I think about what they are doing now for other families who wait to bring home their child or children and sit on the edge hoping the process will all work out. The not knowing is difficult and I give support to all of those out there in the waiting process. Yes, it can feel like one of the hardest things you will go through in your life time. Often times as some would say going through labor, just elongated over days or months. The contractions only get stronger once that call comes in saying, "You have a referral!" OR "You have a court date". With many I know who have received their court dates, I imagine they are feeling similar to what I first felt, first time around, a rush of energy, excitement and then a reality check, what do I do and how do I get it done as fast as possible.

Either way patience is key. See, we are all in need of rushing to our child, getting them home now but what I have learned through the process and through so many who have gone through this is that, having it done right, having it done by the highest quality of people is the most important factor in bringing your child home and having your journey as smooth as possible on a dirty country road.

I am asked to write many e-mails to possible adoptive parents almost weekly and what I find myself saying first is, find the people who are right for you, the people who will be there looking out for you and be your seat belt when things get bumpy.

I also find myself saying thank you over and over to those people and what I realize often is that those thank you's will never add up to what I truly feel about them. They have become a part of our family, whether they are 1000 miles away or 12000, they are the connection between you and your child. The glue that will bring you and your child together.

Appreciate, respect and handle with care.