Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Thoughts on a Plane

I am writing this as a bit of an exercise as I evaluate why I feel the passion I do in helping the children out there who do not have homes or wait minutes, days, months, years passing by not knowing what it is like to have a bed to wake up in that is all theirs or run out in the morning with one intent, to receive a huge hug from a parent, Mama or Papa. The small things we take for granted every day, those moments, whether simply being able to sit with your son or daughter and realize you are giving them a life, a starting point to something greater.

I will never forget the moment my son was in my arms and I held him up to a tree to touch a leaf. The leaf between his fingers widened his eyes and yet almost gave him a reality check, like, this is good, this is different, but this is what I needed these past 15 months was to feel the leaves between my fingers, touch the grass beneath my feet and feel the warmth wrapped up in a mother's arms.

When I leave Russia, I sit in the plane my head pressed against the plane glass looking down with a heavy heart. There will never be a day that passes that I do not think of Russia, of the children I leave there each time wanting to give them more. I have said this before, a piece of my heart will forever be in Russia.

Michael and I may not have been able to conceive and in some crazy thought, I am so grateful as I would not have the beautiful son I cherish each day or the daughter who is coming into our lives soon. The road may be seriously difficult, incredibly challenging, life altering and often bumpy but in the end I have realized my life direction was and is to continue to be a part of supporting these children who need a home by doing whatever it takes to give them a little piece of what we all have each day in our lives.

5 comments:

Kris said...

Great post. I agree, I feel like a huge piece of my heart is in Russia, not a day goes by that one of the children we met there (during both adoptions) pops into my head. I wonder how they are, I say a little prayer that they are safe and hopefully loved. It feels so overwhelming. I always wish there was more that I could do, more that I could give.

I also am very greatful for my infertility and my losses, while it was devastating at the time, I wouldn't change a thing, because that is what led us to Alek and Maks and I truly believe I am a better parent because of what I went through. I know if things came easy, I probably would take alot more for granted than I do now. It is so much easier for me to stop and take it all in, I can just stop whatever I am doing and soak up my children.

You are an amazing mama and it will be wonderful to see you blossom even more as this little princess enters your life!

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

Hunter - beautifully said, and I agree completely. I think I drive people crazy when I bring up "in Russia" and how I would love to bring home as many kids as possible (not sure I can convince my husband of another round after this next one, tho!)...while there are a lot of questions about what those months "there" may have done to impact life ahead for our kids, i marvel every single day at how incredible our son is... as clearly you do, too... It amazes me that he can run with the pack of kids his age, with nary a worry and more verbal than many of them... the "emotional "differences are still there, but hopefully slowly fading. The resiliency and glow and "carpe diem" of our kids is a gift...wrapped up.. every.single.day
thanks for sharing your thoughts! now, when are you going to get that little gal of yours?? :)

Steve and Stella said...

Well written as it is also excatly the way I feel. Would not change anything of our faith! Life could not have givin us a better son than our little guy! He was always meant to be ours just happened to be born in a different country and grew ina different bellie.

Hunter and Michael said...

All of your words my wise friends are seriously touching. So proud to have people in my life who have felt and experienced a Russian adoption.

adidas nmd said...

true religion jeans
kobe basketball shoes
nike huarache
huarache shoes
yeezy boost 350
air max thea
michael kors handbags
adidas neo
cheap jordans
chrome hearts