Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Three Going on Thirty

It is 1:21am. Why am I not asleep? Good question since my son slept 8 hours the night before and has let me sleep very little since we came home.

Leaving our toddler at home with grandma was a good idea for all of us or was it? I laugh as I write this since in all honesty on some level I think we did pretty well considering it was our very FIRST ever separation away from our son since we brought him home. This should be a good thing but man did he not think so and still does not.

I have to say Alexei took about 2 days to really warm up to me again, fully. Tonight as he crawled into his toddler bed, looked over at me, he said, "Mama, I love you", then said it in Russian (I think he thinks he has to say it twice lol) and then he blew me a loud kiss with his palm waving in the air. Yes, it tugged at my heart and we both stared at one another for a few moments. I knew then he was telling me that he really loved me but did not know how to feel with us having left him to go to Russia.

See, a month prior, he begged us to let him go to Russia with us. We did not feel it was a good idea at the time with the very long plane ride. Let's face it, he is an energetic boy who most likely would try to entertain everyone around us and crawl under the seats. Not calm moments for us parents who were going on an emotional and at times stressful trip.

Looking back with what happened in Russia and our little to no energy we were grasping onto like it was pixie dust and we were going to fall out of the sky without it confirmed it was a good decision.

Having said this we are juggling with the idea of bringing him on our next trip. We may need one extra person lol but it may be something Alexei really is ready for and quite possibly trying to communicate to us.

Our 3 year old is a boy going on 30. Some days, I often wonder who is ahead of who haha in this family.

He has said his sister's name 5 times in the past 24 hours, unprompted and at random times speaking about her. He is watching us decorate her room, trying on her flip flops haha and working on wanting to help out as much as possible.

Our son is very aware he is Russian, Papa is Canadian and I am American and we are one big happy family. He waves around all 3 flags and often tries to use Russian words. We also subscribe to Russian television and surround him with tons of hockey from both countries and instill in him his Mama's California surfer type attitude and ease.

Having said this he recently said, "I want to go to Russia" after we came back in reference to coming with us to meet his sister and bring her home. He is so completely aware of the videos of his adoption and now seeing her photos and both of them from the same baby home, I am beginning to think he believes all children come from this room ;)

He did well when we were away but he did give Grandma a run for her money, BIG TIME and 3 weeks is a very long time to endure Alexei's ability to get what he wants and/or let us know how he feels.

A new question to ponder. A better understanding of my son's feelings.

6 comments:

Shelly and Steve said...

Are you going to need to travel thru Moscow or just wait it all out in Vlad? I found Moscow to be very difficult with a little one, but if its all going to be in Vlad I think he will be FINE to bring. And hopefully it won't take too long to get a court date and the weather will be pleasant as well. I say go for it! I know someone from our agency could have waited outside the courtroom with our son, or you could find someone to watch him in the hotel room. I know I felt quite safe and comfortable in Vlad, minus of course when I got VERY sick and couldn't be away from a bathroom ;) Exciting!!!

Jody said...

I would take him!!! However that is spoken by a lady who just travelled in Feb. and we took both our older children with us...on both trips. The first trip we took my husband's single brother with us and the second trip my parents went with us. Our children were four and five. They did absolutely great!!! We travelled through Moscow and our children..all three of them on the way home...were super little travellers. We've been spoiled. :) Blessings as you wait for your court date!!!

Steve and Stella said...

I don't see why not even if your guys go via Moscow. On our end even if the hotel room was just a regular room instead of the suite, it was much easier for the 3 of us than when we were waiting at the Vlad. At least we were able to do so much things that even our little guy had a great time!
I know another family who also went via Moscow with at the time their new 2 children and they also have great memories.

Kris said...

UUGGHH, I so remember that tough decision on whether to bring Alek with us, but we also knew we were dealing with a shorter trip than you. I look back and I am glad on trip 1 we did not bring Alek, I still ponder whether we should have brought him on trip 2, but I think it worked out, it was good to have just that time with Maks. It is alot of internal back and forth. If you do bring him you will need an extra set of hands for sure!
I cannot wait to see pics of your little princess, so excited for you guys and love watching you through this journey!

Hunter and Michael said...

Kris, yes I totally understand. It has been up and down with it but I think we are going with taking him and making sure we have someone with us. A huge difference is, thankfully the hotel has a full swing set, slide, jungle gym, tennis courts, teeter totter, climby thing and lots of other kids who were just adopted or along for the ride. This helped things. The only thing is, this time we are doing the 3 10 hour flights going back through Moscow after the 2 weeks.

adidas nmd said...

adidas yeezy
longchamp online shop
longchamp
longchamp bags
adidas ultra boost
adidas yeezy boost
nmd r1
air force ones
fitflops sale
hogan outlet