Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Little Russian Boy: Toy Obsessed

Toy Story has essentially created toy stories among parents who have obsessed toddlers who cannot think, speak or dream of anything else but...

My son has woken up in his sleep the last couple of nights saying, "Woody costume". He has asked for the Woody Costume for his birthday in two weeks, however it has become more of an obsessive compulsive issue and one that tests a parent's patience to the brink of insanity. I have even thought about changing his birth date.

I must say I alone spend roughly 10 hours with my toddler listening to "Mama, I need my Woody costume now, please Mama right now." If I say you need to wait until your birthday or I do not have one in this house or redirect with let's put on your Buzz costume, the TEARS, I capitalize as they are Large TEARS start streaming and then they go into uncontrollable temper tantrums. I have tried EVERYTHING to redirect, to talk it out, to help him understand (I gave in and ordered it out of a desperate moment) that the mail man is bringing it in a couple of days. Is this satisfaction for a 2 year old who needs it NOW? Nope. In fact, it gave me such a headache, I crawled off to bed zoning out on television without telling my husband and left him with the 2 yr old talking obsessively about needing a lot of toys. (Mind you he has tons). He is a popular boy.

So 800mg of ibprofen later, one valium for muscle spasms and I wake up to "Mama, I need a lot of toys now." He has in the little time we have in the morning, thrown a toy at me, banged a door and is terribly upset that he supposedly does not have a lot of toys and specifically the Woody costume. I have explained to him that his behavior must improve to get his Woody costume and that being kind and respectful to Mama and Papa is a must. Having said this, I have no idea as to whether this is anxiety from feeling that since we are heading to Russia soon, he is acting out or simply being Toy Story obsessed, which I have heard can be an issue for toddlers.

Needless to say, I am open to any and all suggestions if other parents have gone through this toddler, demanding toy stage. For someone who has been going through this for a week, I am ready for advice :)