Thursday, December 30, 2010

Heading into a New Adventure

Well, we are heading into a new adventure. At this time, we have not made a concrete decision as to where since there are incredible variables to each program.

Of course our dream of all dreams would be to return to Russia where there are many baby girls awaiting homes and that would be the ultimate of ultimate gifts to be able to give another child of our son's culture a home, brings me to tears to think about being back there. It made it that much harder after talking with the director and knowing this is how it is now and remembering the doctor in Russian telling us to come back for a girl.

Our hearts belong to Russia and will always be there. The second choice was to possibly go to Ukraine, a close second, however girls are not abundant at the moment and we would have to go with a child older then Alexei or the same age. Not too bad actually just wanted to go a bit younger and keep the age difference closer.

We are now looking into Korea as this may be our only choice that is easiest financially and yet will allow us to have a baby in 2 years. Yes, that's right, 2 years if I want a boy and 3 years if we could have our girl, however boy it is. 3 years is a huge length of time, however I know some endure the time.

We looked into Ethiopia and it also requires 2 trips and a very unfamiliar road through this adoption. I am still deciding and still gaining information.

I suppose the decision is so difficult and I often want to ask parents, how do you go to Russia multiple times with the costs so high. My only wish is that adoptive parents would have an easier time bringing a child home from any country without having to sacrifice all they have at home.

I might sound a bit angry and maybe going through the "Why can't we just get pregnant" stage once again as it seems like such a handful to get what seems so simple in life at such a large price.

I know so many of you know what I am referring too and it is most difficult to open my heart as I have, however I know that so many think it.

January will tell all in what we decide to do next.

I am wishing all adoptive parents out there right now happiness and a successful return if they are on trips. It is an amazing experience and you are never alone.

5 comments:

amy said...

We are right there with you... we are already talking about how to adopt another little girl. Clara Jane would be a wonderful big sister. Unfortunately, we are totally broke from multiple IVFs and CJ's adoption.

We've just started discussing the possibility of domestic adoption - of course going back to Russia would be our first choice too. Contemplating fostering to adopt, but are at the very beginning stages.

I think it would be an impossibility to get pregnant, so we've got to figure out how to bring home a second child.

I hope your road to a second child is peaceful ~ and I wish you a very happy new year! Will look forward to following your progress!

Hunter and Michael said...

Amy and Kevin,

We are leaning towards Korea for us at the moment as we can spread out the money over 2 years and bring home a baby boy 2012, hopefully by the end of that year. If we go with a girl, it would be 2013.

I know what you are saying, it is difficult. Sending warm wishes.

Steve and Stella said...

Wishing you all the best in the new adventure. I know we all sometime wonder why? But I do believe there is always a reason and again this time he or she is somewhere waiting for you and some how will let you know which country she or he in. Just like us Russia choice us...
Can't wait to follow this beautiful adventures. Happy New Year Guys!!!!

Laura said...

Just found your blog and want to wish you all the best on your journey.

I would swear that I wrote Amy's post EXACTLY except we just can't afford to go forth with a second adoption so it's not even on the table for discussion. I look at Kristina and wish she had a sibling so I understand where you're coming from.

Best wishes with your next (big) decision. Your daughter awaits you out there...somewhere...and you'll find her!

Blessings,
Laura

Krista said...

Korea is an amazing program!! Can't wait to follow your journey.
And I totally hear ya on the whole angry thing... I'm there too.